8.25.2009

the world seems to be on pause

Work's really a drag during the holy month of Ramadan. Like yesterday, I only had enough patients to count on one hand. The longest eight hours of my life... on the upside it's easy money and people are maintaining great health. Alhamduliallah (is my spelling correct?!)! On the downside, it's really a challenge to be stuck in front of a computer with company monitored internet access and co-workers you don't have much to talk about with after draining all juicy gossip on the first two days of this informal vacation. LOL.

Since Saturday, I've caught myself packed up and staring at the clock on the wall ready to bolt out at the strike of four. Incredible.


The good thing is that I don't go home feeling so wiped out. Speaking of which, I feel my world took a hundred eighty degree turn seeing baba greet me at the door when he'd usually stay at the office until mom calls for dinner. Thank God it's Ramadan. Baba's home by 1pm, gets to do more home-y stuff, and actually sits and talks to me about anythinggggg!

Which is what we did after I got home. We were talking about what to prepare for the iftar since baba fasts and we get guests coming in and out throughout the evening. Yes, I don't fast, well I did before but since I've become so confused on which religious path to take, baba has given up on me and just wished me well. It's a looooong story, trust me. In the Philippines I attended Roman Catholic services, in China I did the Buddhist and Taoist rituals, and when I was in the States and Europe I joined a lot of Christian Fellowship. Don't get me wrong, I do have Islam running inside my veins. In fact, I've been reading the Qu'ran and following certain practices. Now please, no negative reactions!!!

So baba decided to have some cake tonight. I volunteered to make some strawberry cheesecake but he didn't want to tire me out and instead asked me to pick something up at Anoosh. Oh, my fave cake shop! I just can't wait to get my foot at the door and be amazed by their creations. Although it is a trip downtown, it's soooo worth it. We also agreed on some hummus, fruit skewers, dates, clam chowder, prawns, steamed veggies, and um ali. Our family isn't a big fan of oily calorie packed food... as you can tell.

I took my computer with me so I could catch up on my reading during the trip, but instead I came across some really interesting blogs. I am a sucker on web browsing. Seriously, the only websites I'm always on are hotmail, yahoo, aol, facebook, and google... the rest are alien to me. Thankfully, I've cracked the code and expanded my world wide web. LOL.

What caught my attention most were the cartoon-like images people have been posting on their profiles. I see my Saudi friends have it on facebook and some bloggers too. At first I thought it was the wackiest thing to do... I mean, why put a cartoon-like image that looks exactly like you rather than put an actual picture??? What's the point in hiding your true identity if the resemblance is so close? I just don't get it.

The funny thing is I've been on the computer for the last three hours googling a site that could help me make this cartoon-like image! Can you believe it? The bug has bitten me too! LMAO. I found that yahoo offers the 'avatar' for use only around the site, so screw that. I also got in a Japanese on but it created weird images I just couldn't put my finger on. No luck yet.

So, if anybody knows how to make these cartoon-like images, please comment and leave websites or directions. I'm getting so jittery about this that I think I'll be losing sleep until I nail it. LOL.

My friends were also calling me to go out and exercise with them... by this they mean shopping. Yes, downtown is flooded with huge red signs screaming SALE! and people or rather women competing to bag the greatest bargain ever. Call me kill joy for declining such an invite, but I don't get the point of buying something I don't really need. I have already gone through the phase of impulsive shopping and I've firmly said goodbye. What's the point of getting a five SAR garment that is so inconvenient to my wardrobe? I've written about this previously and I don't want to start ranting about this topic again. Period. LOL.

Take me out for dinner at Amici's or coffee instead.

Okay so my mind's all over the place, so many topics in one post. So lemme just end it here now. Ohhh, the joys of having life on pause. Sweet.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for dropping by and leaving a message in the thoughtskoto Cbox yesterday. Great start for a newbie blogger here. Kitakits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello there..so you want a mangatar..i made mine at faceyourmanga.com. just follow the simple steps and viola meron ka ng cartoon na kamukha mo..hehehe di ko na kamukha yung sakin...humaba na kasi hair ko tapos makinis your mangatar ko... enjoy creating your own..patingin ako ha.. ramadan kareem.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so that's what it's called! avatar ako ng avatar. garr. syempre naman, ipapakita ko sa iyo niqabi. oh btw, i cant seem to reach ur blog anymore. anamamarida di ba? thanks, same to you!

    ReplyDelete